Friday, April 30, 2010

full pink moon

Finally . . .
my piece for Bea's Dog in the Hole full moon art doll challenge. This time I did not make an art doll but instead made a small textile piece.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

the slow way

This is certainly not the only way but it is one of the ways I create "little hopes," the small art quilt atcs made at a recent retreat. I used this particular approach because I wasn't sure about the sewing experience of the workshop participants and we weren't using sewing machines or irons.

First I cut out 3 x 4 inch rectangles of background fabric and backing fabric. Using the technique described below, these dimensions should result in a standard 2 1/2 x 31/2 atc. I also cut out slightly smaller rectangles of batting.


These were prepared ahead of time. Participants also had the choice of selecting any of the backing rectangles to embellish and use as the front if they preferred not to piece.

This is how I created the atc shown in the first photo. Using scraps of fabric and by sewing and flipping them over, the front was created.

The next step was to center the batting behind the front (top) and begin attaching embellishments. For this atc, I attached a layer of tulle and a bit of novelty yarn.

After adding the embellishments, select a backing. Then pin the three layers (top, batting and backing) together. Sew along the edge (a scant 1/4 inch), leaving an open space along the middle of one of the longer sides. 

Carefully turn the piece inside out. Use an object such as the blunt end of a skewer to make sure all of the corners are turned out.

 Sew the edges of the opening together. Then add any additional embellishments and quilt as desired. Participants were also encourage to sign and date the back.  

Thursday, April 15, 2010

collecting words

This is the vessel that evolved for the conclusion of  Bea's Down the Rabbit Hole challenge.

found her voice

revealing the contents

Today is the day of the retrieving, harvesting, unveiling, and unwrapping of the erosion bundles we've buried or left outside for the past few months.

My kitty assistant and I started unwrapping the bundle this morning.

I had forgotten how many layers of fabrics, papers, and assorted objects were contained in the bundle.

The results included a few mottled pieces of fabric but not particularly much rusting. The biggest surprise was the aroma of the star anise as I started unwrapping.

Tumeric created the most effect, infusing the fabrics with shades of yellow.

The pink and blue shades are from a couple of craft feathers I included in the bundle. There were also imprints from the star anise and a few rose petals.

Monday, April 12, 2010

playing with blue

I've been working on the piece that I did not select for Bea's Down the Rabbit Hole challenge. I removed the butterflies and clouds, added some wavy pieced strips and yarn, and wove some of them together. I'm still sewing them down, playing around with it.

This weekend I bought some beads at Beadfest.

Also met  musicians Erin McKeown and Jonatha Brooke at WXPN's Beggar's Banquet. This photo is of Jonatha with her husband and Michaela.

Friday, April 9, 2010

finding your voice

While this piece was vaguely contemplated from the onset as a sort of storytelling piece, it was during week four of Bea's Dog in the Hole Down the Rabbit Hole challenge that it has started to emerge as related to finding one's voice.

For this part of the challenge, the altered top was embellished with buttons, beads, yo-yos, and a gold-tinted sculpey face nested inside a vintage crocheted shade pull leading to the text "found her voice."   

There is also a doily, small wooden clock face with a bead, and a small glass vial containing more text and wired with bead to the piece. A couple of paper beads are also included.

"Words are the voice of the heart." ~ Confucious

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

long ago and far away

The past few days were spent mostly traveling.