Saturday, January 14, 2012

a large project

is currently taking shape but due to the size remains on my design wall upstairs on the third floor, where it's too cold to spend any substantial amount of time. So in the meantime I've been using up bits and pieces of yarn on another project that is really more about process than about the finished item. While I'm downstairs where it's warm and my fingers are busy crocheting, I'm working out the details in my head for the fiber collage/quilt project upstairs.


Recently I came across an interesting quote from Teresa Barkley
“And the realization that this was a very time consuming way to work made me very anxious to do something that was one of a kind. I really like the tactile quality of quilts and I loved working with fabric. But the realization came to me very early that fabulous quilts had been made for a very long time by people with more time and skill than I had and it was really kind of pointless for me to duplicate those designs in contemporary materials when I had so little time, I would rather use it on something that was uniquely my own. One - that it would be more interesting looking, and two - it would be a better use of my time. The world doesn't really need another flower garden quilt and that was the quilt that I had admired so much of my great-grandmother's and the first traditional one I had begun to piece and I've never finished it because I made a lot of technical errors along the way. It was a learning experience but I never felt the need to finish because it became much less interesting to me to make a quilt to use. I wanted something that was interesting to look at  . . . “

4 comments:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

We do learn from every experience...even if completion is not at hand. I save them for awhile ...years maybe...and then I get an idea about altering in a very new direction! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Joanne Huffman said...

I like the colors and feeling of richness in the crochet picture (and the suggestion of warmth. considering the snow and cold currently outside).

quiltmom anna said...

Love the thought provoking quote- there is lots of way to express one's self creatively- The process should feed your creative spirit and be an expression of you.
There is so many different forms of quilting to try- you will find the one that fits you.
Regards,
Anna

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Love the quote and why does it take so long for us to arrive at that point?